Payment Options - Tax Bills
Methods of Payment
Tax bills may be paid by any one of the following methods:
(1) At City Hall in the Finance Department, by Cash, Cheque, or Debit Machine (which is now available for those wishing to use this method).
(2) Deposited in the night depository at the Christina Street entrance of City Hall. (Please make cheques payable to “City of Sarnia - Tax”).
(3) At most financial institutions for a nominal service charge
(4) Through telephone or internet banking. (Check with your financial institution to arrange for this type of payment)
(5) Through the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan (PAP). If you wish to use this method, please ask for a Pre-Authorization Form or if you wish, the form can be downloaded, along with PAP Guidelines.
All cheques must be made payable to “City of Sarnia - Tax”. Cheques may be post-dated in accordance with the installment due dates.
Please make sure your payments are made on time, as payments delayed in the mail and received after the due date will incur Penalty Charges.
Penalty for Late Payment
Late payment of Taxes will be subject to a Penalty Charge of 1.25% on the first day of default and on the first day of each month thereafter, until paid. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse a taxpayer from the responsibility for payment or from liability for penalty for late payment.
THE TAX COLLECTOR HAS NO AUTHORITY TO WAIVE OR ALTER A PENALTY AND/OR INTEREST FOR ANY REASON.
The Tax Office is required, by Statute, to send out its bill in accordance with the information appearing upon the Assessment Roll prepared by the Province of Ontario. Therefore, it is most important that any changes in ownership, mailing address or property valuation be brought to the attention of the Tax Collector and the Regional Assessment Office. Unless this is done, a new owner may not receive a tax bill.