At its regular meeting held on Monday, March 2, 2020, Sarnia City Council:
- Approved an amendment to the Zoning By-Law to replace existing bed and breakfast regulations with new regulations for short-term accommodations, and allowed existing operators a one-time exception to the principal residence requirement for operations in existence prior to January 1, 2020.
- Recognized Mr. Nick Monsour as ‘Honorary Councillor’ for being a faithful servant of the City.
- Directed staff to maintain the status quo for two planned bus purchases in 2020, and to further study of the costs and benefits of electric and natural gas bus purchases.
- Directed staff to continue with the existing water filter rebate program.
- Approved the use of the Parkway Parking Lot for the 2020 Sarnia Greekfest event, and the use of the Vendome Parking Lot from 2021 onward for the Sarnia Greekfest event.
- Approved a Capital Investment Strategy to allow for debt to be repaid early, and to create additional capacity in the operating budget to build capital reserves for asset management activities.
- Deferred consideration of Ferry Dock Hill parking options until the next regular meeting.
- Deferred consideration of a Dog Friendly Beach pilot project until April 20, 2020 pending community consultation.
- Accepted the tender submitted by T. Hamilton and Sons Roofing Inc. in the amount of $318,976.90 for Phase 1 of the Progressive Auto Sales Arena Roof Project.
- Directed staff to produce a report on the use of bird safe glass by developers.
- Directed staff to hold a staff-led public meeting regarding by-law amendments pertaining to the storage of recreational vehicles on private property, and return to Council for consideration at the May 11, 2020 meeting.
- Directed staff to consult with the public regarding the Draft Tree Canopy Policy, and return to Council for consideration at the April 20, 2020 meeting.
- Agreed to reconsider its previous decision regarding the jersey barriers at the Bright’s Grove Plaza at the next regular meeting.
- Gave final approval to the Accountability Framework for Council and Local Boards (Code of Conduct).
- Directed staff to inquire with the Integrity Commissioner regarding the preparation of detailed invoices on a semi-annual basis.
- Addressed the opportunities for tracking the many types of accommodations across the community to better understand how the housing stock is being used.
The next Regular Council Meeting will be held at 4:00 p.m. on Monday, March 23, 2020.