Reporting to the Supervisor of Building/CBO, the Building Official is responsible for enforcing the rules and regulations of the Ontario Building Code and City By-Laws through plan reviews and on-site inspections to ensure standards of construction are met. This is a temporary position for a period of up to 18 months.
What you will be doing
Working as part of the Building Department team, you will be responsible for providing assistance to contractors, developers, designers and the public regarding construction projects throughout the City of Sarnia. Research of new Code requirements and innovative products can also be included in routine activities.
Education and Qualifications
- Three year College diploma in Civil Engineering/Architectural or Construction Technology plus two (2) to three (3) years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Provincially registered (BCIN) as required under Div. C 220.127.116.11 of the Building Code Act for House, Small Buildings, Large Buildings, Building Services, Building Structural and Legal (Inspector), Complex Buildings considered an asset;
- Certification from the Ontario Building Officials Association; and
- Valid Class G Driver’s Licence with an abstract acceptable to City guidelines.
Experience and Knowledge
- Extensive knowledge of regulations pertaining to inspection/compliance;
- Reading and interpretation of blueprints/drawings/specs;
- Excellent communication skills in dealing tactfully & diplomatically with the public and organizations;
- Sound written communication skills;
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); and
- Competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
This position is represented by CUPE Local 3690 and offers an annual salary of $51,706-$79,534.
Hours of Work
The regular hours of work are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday inclusive (35 hours per week).
Advertisement expiration date
Candidates are invited to submit a resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “2020-36 – Building Official”.
This posting will remain active until the vacancy is filled.