Reporting to the Supervisor of Building/CBO, the Building Official is responsible for enforcing the rules and regulations of the Ontario Building Code for Part 9 construction and City By-Laws through plan reviews and on-site inspections to ensure standards of construction are met.
What you will be doing
Working as part of the Building Division, you will be responsible for providing assistance to contractors, developers, designers and the public regarding construction projects throughout the City of Sarnia. Research of new Code requirements and innovative products can also be included in routine activities.
Education and Qualifications
- Three year College diploma in Civil Engineering/Architectural or Construction Technology plus two (2) to three (3) years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Provincially registered (BCIN) as required under Div. C 184.108.40.206 of the Building Code Act for House, Small Buildings, Building Services, and Legal (Inspector);
- Certification from the Ontario Building Officials Association; and
- Valid Class G Driver’s Licence with an abstract acceptable to City guidelines.
Experience and Knowledge
- Inspection/compliance skills
- Reading and interpretation of blueprints/drawings/specs
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Public relations and customer service
- Computer proficiency
- Competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Clerical skills
This position is represented by CUPE Local 3690 and offers an annual salary of $48,921.60-$75,257, along with a competitive benefits package complete with extended health and dental benefits, and enrollment in OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan.
Hours of Work
The regular hours of work are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday inclusive (35 hours per week).
Advertisement Expiration Date
Candidates are invited to submit a resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “2020-57 – Building Official, Level I” by September 23, 2020.