Under the direction of the Manager of Planning, this position is responsible for a broad range of both public policy and development services work that is fundamental to an integrated approach to community building. Working as part of a practical and progressive team that is customer oriented and community facing, the Planner I will have the opportunity to lead, manage, and collaborate on all types of development applications, tackle solutions to community planning challenges, and review and understand changes needed to accommodate emerging community trends.
In addition to the direct planning related work, the Planner I has the opportunity to impact day-to-day operations from the business development perspective as the City continuously modernizes service delivery through investments in the corporate geographic information system (GIS) and workflow management technology. As the City of Sarnia looks to modernize its community standards framework to drive community investment, spur economic development efforts, and streamline service delivery, this is an exciting time to join and be part of an integrated and transformative team that puts community building first.
- College Diploma in Urban Planning or a related program, plus two to three years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Valid class G driver’s licence with an abstract acceptable to City guidelines;
- Ability to obtain membership in the Ontario Professional Planning Institute (OPPI);
- Ability to obtain membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP).
Required Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills to deal effectively with internal and external customers and stakeholders;
- Ability to effectively research and analyze relevant information in order to clearly interpret legislation and by-laws related to planning matters;
- Applying knowledge and planning expertise to provide appropriate advice and guidance on a variety of planning matters;
- Demonstrated ability to express ideas effectively orally and in writing;
- Exposure and / or working knowledge of workflow management and project management concepts;
- Strong computer skills in MS Office and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
This position offers an annual salary of $51,706-$79,534, based on a 35-hour work week; along with a competitive benefits package complete with extended health and dental benefits, and enrollment in OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan.
Union: This position is represented by CUPE Local 3690
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “2020-63 – Planner I”. This posting will remain active until the vacancy is filled.
The City of Sarnia is an inclusive and equitable Corporation that encourages applications from qualified individuals of all genders, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons. Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Information received relating to accommodation and diversity will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is being collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.