This position is responsible for supporting a dynamic team within the Community Services Division with a focus on enhancing the customer experience through modern self-serve web-based tools. The Planning Technician (GIS) facilitates the effective use of business technologies (Cityworks, ArcGIS Online), databases, and applications to meet the GIS needs of the Planning Department and other internal and external clients
Education and Qualifications
- College Diploma in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Urban Planning or a related program, plus two (2) to three (3) years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills to deal effectively with internal and external customers.
- Ability to effectively research and analyze relevant information in order to clearly interpret by-laws.
- Demonstrated ability to express ideas effectively orally and in writing.
- Exposure and / or working knowledge of Cityworks or other workflow management applications.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office, Sketchup, Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Crystal Reports;
- Valid driver’s licence with acceptable abstract;
- Membership within the Canadian Association of Certified Planning Technicians (CACPT) is an asset.
This position is represented by CUPE Local 3690 and offers an annual salary of $43,443.40-$66,848.60 (2020 rates), along with a competitive benefits package complete with extended health and dental benefits, and enrollment in OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan.
Candidates are invited to submit a resume in confidence to email@example.com indicating “2021-18 – Planning Technician (GIS)”. This posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
The health, safety and well-being of City of Sarnia employees is paramount, and in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, additional measures have been implemented throughout the corporation to protect our employees and ensure their continued health and safety.
The City of Sarnia is an inclusive and equitable Corporation that encourages applications from qualified individuals of all genders, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons. Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Information received relating to accommodation and diversity will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is being collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.