Under the direction of the Manager of Planning, this position is responsible for general oversight of the Planning Department and various processes including Development Review.
This position is responsible for a broad range of both public policy and development services work within the planning division that is fundamental to an integrated approach to community building. Working as part of a practical and progressive team that is customer oriented and community facing, the Planner II will have the opportunity to lead, manage, and collaborate on all types of development applications, tackle solutions to community planning challenges, and review and understand changes needed to accommodate emerging community trends.
Education and Qualifications
- A university degree in planning, environmental studies or a related discipline, plus five (5) to -8 years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience;
- Full membership or eligibility for full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) and the Ontario Professional Planners Institute;
- Valid G Driver’s Licence with an abstract acceptable to City guidelines;
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills to deal effectively with internal and external customers and stakeholders;
- Thorough knowledge of the Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, other Provincial plans and legislation, and local planning responsibilities;
- Ability to effectively research and analyze relevant information to clearly interpret legislation and by-laws related to planning matters;
- Applying knowledge and planning expertise to provide appropriate advice and guidance on a variety of planning matters;
- Well-developed project management skills, including the ability to set priorities, solve problems, and meet deadlines under pressure;
- Demonstrated ability to express ideas effectively orally and in writing;
- Exposure and / or working knowledge of workflow management and project management concepts;
- Strong computer skills in MS Office and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
This position is represented by CUPE Local 3690 and offers an annual salary of $59,878.00 -$92,110.20, Group L, based on a 35 hour work week (2020 rates), along with a competitive benefits package complete with extended health and dental benefits, and enrollment in OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan.
Candidates are invited to submit a resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “2021-39 – Planner II”. This posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
The health, safety and well-being of City of Sarnia employees is paramount, and in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, additional measures have been implemented throughout the corporation to protect our employees and ensure their continued health and safety.
The City of Sarnia is an inclusive and equitable Corporation that encourages applications from qualified individuals of all genders, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons. Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Information received relating to accommodation and diversity will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is being collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.