Transit Operators are dedicated customer focused individuals responsible for providing safe and efficient conventional and specialized transit services. As front line employees, Transit Operators are instrumental in demonstrating respectful behaviour towards all passengers.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- Providing courteous and timely service, route, bus schedule information to passengers and pick-up/drop-off passengers from stop to stop or door-to-door on Care-a-Van.
- Ensuring passengers with disabilities are accommodated within the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) and applicable legislation, including Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), while ensuring they benefit from Sarnia’s transit services.
- Physical demands assisting passengers with mobility needs and devices on and off the bus while following prescribed procedures.
- Minimum valid Class C Driver’s Licence with an abstract acceptable to City guidelines;
- Air brake (Z) endorsement, or have the ability to obtain;
- Safety conscious driver with knowledge of Sarnia’s roads and attractions;
- Demonstrated ability to deal courteously and with dignity and respect towards customers and co-workers;
- Must successfully pass medical examinations in accordance with Ministry of Transportation Regulations;
- Must successfully complete Sarnia Transit’s training program for bus operation, including practical and written tests;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- A clean Police Vulnerable Sector Check;
- Large commercial vehicle driving experience is considered an asset.
This position is represented by Unifor Local 914 and offers an hourly rate starting at $28.13.
Successful candidates must be available to work a variety of shifts including nights, evenings, split shifts, weekends and holidays.
Part-time Transit Operators work up to 24 hours per week and must be available for shifts scheduled during all Transit operating hours (weekdays, evening, weekends, operational holidays).
Candidates are invited to submit a resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Sarnia Transit”. This posting will remain open until the vacancies are filled.
We wish to thank all applicants who apply but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Sarnia is an inclusive and equitable Corporation that encourages applications from qualified individuals of all genders, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons. Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Information received relating to accommodation and diversity will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is being collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.