If your business does not require a municipal business licence, adherence to the zoning by-law is still required. For more information, please contact

Zoning By-Law Document


Adult Entertainment By-Law
Body Rub By-Law
Business Licensing By-Law
Pawn Shop Licence By-Law
Taxi By-Law (Issued by Sarnia Police)
*By-Law 97 of 2022 Low Speed Vehicle By-Law (Contact Sarnia Police)
Short-Term Accommodations By-Law
For More Information Visit: Short-Term Accommodations
Payday Loan By-Law
In Ontario, payday lenders must also be licensed Provincially by the Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, and licenses must be displayed. The Provincial application package for lenders and brokers is available for download online at Ontario’s Central Forms Repository at  This site also offers mandatory education tools, and information regarding the rules for running a payday loan business.
Fine Structure

The City of Sarnia’s Sewer Use By-law Number 13 of 2021 prohibits the discharge of sewage containing more than 100 mg/L of fats, oils and grease of animal or vegetable origin. For more information:

Home Occupation Business

Anyone looking to run a home occupation in a residential area should first view the zoning regulations and consult with City staff . For more information, please visit the Home Based Occupation page or contact

Fire Inspections

Proof of compliance with the Fire Code, as determined by the Sarnia Fire Chief, is required for all new Business Licenses. To ensure your establishment is ready for your inspection, please review the following checklist. Click here to download a PDF of the checklist.

Commercial Cooking Checklist

Municipal Liquor Permit

A liquor sales licence may be issued to allow the sale and service of alcohol to the public. For more information and how to apply, please contact the Clerk’s department at or (519)332-0330 ext 3320.

The form is available online:

Additional forms required for a liquor licence are available on the AGCO’s website.
Special Occasion Permits (Short term liquor sales) are available at the LCBO, or by contacting AGCO.

All inquiries can be directed to AGCO 1-800-522-2876.

See Bulletin Here:

Patio Extension

Looking to Add an Outdoor Space for your Business?

Click Here
New Business Information

Please visit the webpage New Business.

Business Renewal Information

Please visit the webpage Business Licensing Renewals.

Short-Term Accommodation Information

Please visit the webpage Short-Term Accommodations.


Click here for more information about business permits, licences and other requirements needed to start, operate and grow your business from the federal, provincial/territorial and participating municipal governments.

Door to Door Salesperson – Ontario Consumer Protection

2022 Business Licence Directory

All Licenses Listed below expired December 31, 2022. To find out more about why we licence each category please view […]

Learn More

2023 Business Licence Directory

To find out more about why we licence each category please view our Business Licence By-Law. If you notice a […]

Learn More