Residential waste: limit of (3) three bags or (3) three containers, each not exceeding a maximum weight of 22kg (48Ibs). All garbage must be securely bagged and tied. Additional bags must have a bag tag. Any material to be collected can only be set out after 6pm the night before collection; or before 7am the day of collection.
For more information on unacceptable garbage items: https://www.sarnia.ca/living-here/garbage-and-recycling/non-collectibles/
Refer to our Bag Tag page for a detailed list of places where bag tags can be purchased.
Large items will be picked up during the first full week of each month on your collection day. Any material to be collected can only be set out after 6pm the night before collection; or before 7am the day of collection.
Acceptable Large Items include:
- Chairs, couches, tables, entertainment centers, mattresses, box springs, bed frames, dressers, etc. Furniture must not be dismantled or unassembled.
- Refrigerators, freezers, water coolers, and air conditioners that have had the Freon removed and are tagged by a refrigeration company. Doors and lids must also be removed.
- Stoves, Washing Machines, Dryers-residential size only
- Carpet that is cut into sections no longer than 1.2m (3 feet, 11 inches) tied and rolled into bundles not exceeding 22kg (48 pounds). The maximum number of rolls that will be collected during the regular bulk item collection is 10.
- Clothesline Poles, Basketball Poles/Nets that are cut down to 4′ lengths
- Lawn Mowers/ Weed Eaters with gas/oil removed
- Strollers, infant car seats (please note normal automobile seats are not collectible)
For more information: https://www.sarnia.ca/large-item-collection/
Unacceptable Large Items
Cardboard boxes used as garbage containers, commercial/industrial-sized items, auto parts, construction materials such as toilets, sinks, vanities, windows, drywall, lumber, ceramic tile, broken concrete, asphalt, doors, etc are not collected. For more information visit: https://www.sarnia.ca/large-item-collection/
TVs, microwaves, and small kitchen appliances are not collected. For more information, visit www.recyclemyelectronics.ca. More information is available: https://www.sarnia.ca/living-here/garbage-and-recycling/e-waste/
Household Hazardous Waste
Visit www.makethedrop.ca or phone The County of Lambton at 519-845-0801 for more information and alternative locations for disposing of household hazardous waste.
When to Set Garbage Out
Any material to be collected can only be set out after 6pm the night before collection; or before 7am the day of collection. Place items on the boulevard. Do not place garbage on the road or in ditches.
To request assistance and flexibility for residents with medical conditions demonstrating a need for accommodation, please submit an application form to the Public Works Department. If you have any questions, please contact the Public Works Department at 519-332-0330.
Sarnia’s Waste Collection By-Law
If your waste is set out prior to the designated day or placed on the road or in the ditch / gutter it contravenes Sarnia’s Waste Collection By-Law 62 of 2006. Contraventions of this By-Law can result in fines set by the court.