A Secondary Dwelling Units (2019) information brochure was prepared by the City of Sarnia Community Development Services and Standards Department.
- A “secondary dwelling unit” is a self-contained residential unit that includes its own entrance, a private sleeping area, kitchen, and bathroom facilities.
- Secondary units are permitted in single detached, semi-detached, and multiple-attached (townhouse) dwellings that are located in the Urban Residential 2 (UR2), UR3, UR4 or UR5 Zones.
- Secondary units are permitted in some, but not all, Urban Residential 1 (UR1) Zones.
- Secondary units shall provide a minimum gross floor area of 35m2 (377 ft2).
- Secondary units must meet the requirements of the City’s Zoning By-law and obtain necessary approvals, such as a building permit and fire safety inspection.