The City of Sarnia would like to notify the public of the decision to cancel the City-wide curbside collection of large items, scheduled for April 6th – 10th, in order to limit workers risk of exposure to the COVID-19 virus.
Instead of the curbside collection of large items, the City is providing the following alternative options:
Starting Monday, April 6th, 2020 to Saturday April 18th, 2020:
- Bulk items can be brought for disposal to Transco Recycling, located at 387 McGregor Side Road, Sarnia
- Residents must bring suitable identification with them (i.e., a driver’s license) to indicate they are a Sarnia resident.
- There will be no charge to Sarnia residents who bring acceptable bulk items as per the City of Sarnia Waste / Recycle / Compost Calendar found online at https://www.sarnia.ca/living-here/garbage-and-recycling/waste-calendar/ .
- Residents that would like to drop off unacceptable bulk items, such as construction material, will be expected to pay for those unacceptable items.
- We ask that residents only utilize the Transco facility option if absolutely required.
- Transco Recycling hours of operation are: Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturdays, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- For additional questions related to drop off of materials residents can call Transco Recycling at 519-332-4045.
Transco requires that when residents enter the site they go on the scale and speak to the scale house attendant to show ID and for instructions on where to dump. When on site, you will need to remove items from the car/truck and not roam around. When you are finished unloading acceptable items, you may exit the site to the right without going over the scale. If you brought in unacceptable items you need to pay for, you will be asked to go on the scale and the attendant will process your payment.
Please note that while regular waste collection will continue as scheduled, items for large item collection should not be left at the curb next week and if the items cannot be brought to Transco Recycling, they should be kept off of the curb and held until the next available pick up date.
The limit for regular waste collection remains 3 bags weekly. If needed, bag tags for additional garbage bags, are available for purchase online at www.sarnia.ca and at retail outlets listed on the City’s website.
The large item collection currently scheduled for May 4th-8th will be reassessed at a later date and updated information will be available on the Recycle Coach App and the City’s website at www.sarnia.ca as well as through the City’s Facebook and Twitter social media pages.