At its special meetings held via teleconference on Monday, March 23, 2020:
- Adopted amendments to Council’s Procedure By-Law #159 of 2019 to allow for electronic participation in meetings by Members of Council when an emergency under section 4 or 7.0.1 of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act has been declared to exist in all or part of the municipality.
At its special meeting held via teleconference on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, Sarnia City Council:
- Approved the sale of the Bayside Mall lands to Seasons Retirement Communities (Sarnia) LP.
- Adopted a By-law to Establish & Regulate the Fire Department which provides clear and accurate policy direction reflecting how Council wants its fire department services to function and operate.
- Accepted a tender submitted by Team Truck Centre in the amount of $988,242.24 for the supply and delivery of 3 single axle plow trucks.
- Accepted a tender submitted by Maple Reinders Constructors Ltd. in the amount of $12,360,481.92 for the required construction of a wastewater pumping station at Plank Road and Indian Road.
- Received annual information reports regarding Senior Staff & Council Remuneration and Expenses, Public Sector Salary Disclosure, and Mayor and Council Budget Utilization.
- Approved the following initiatives to provide financial relief to community members in light of the COVID-19 Pandemic Emergency:
- Waive the $40 NSF fee to anyone whose March PAP payment is returned.
- Waive the penalty and interest charges on property taxes until May 31, 2020.
- Waive the late fees on utilities (water and sewer only) until May 31, 2020.
- Waive the late fees on miscellaneous invoices until May 31, 2020.
- Waive transit fares for the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Amend the interim and supplementary property tax due dates, providing a one month deferral for all property tax classes.
If citizens have any further questions related to tax payments made through their financial institution, they are to contact them directly.
The next Regular Council Meeting will be held at the call of the Chair.