The Sarnia Primary Control Group (SPCG) met electronically with staff from Lambton Public Health (LPH), Bluewater Health, Lambton County, and Point Edward regarding developments related to COVID-19.
The group received an update from Dr. Ranade, Medical Officer of Health for Lambton County, regarding the COVID-19 situation in Sarnia-Lambton.
As of February 22, the provincial government announced that Sarnia-Lambton has transitioned into the Red-Control Zone of the Province’s COVID-19 Response Framework. This decision was made to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 in Lambton County and based on an overall risk assessment of local indicators.
LPH is reminding the public to be patient and kind as businesses implement new control measures and requirements under the COVID-19 Response Framework. Please stay home as much as possible; avoid social gatherings; limit close contacts to your household; work from home if possible, and avoid travel except for essential reasons.
Bluewater Health began its Vaccination Clinic for high-risk frontline hospital healthcare workers today. The Bluewater Health clinic will administer the Pfizer vaccine to hospital staff and physicians following the sequential, phased rollout as per the province’s direction (COVID-19: Guidance for Prioritizing Health Care Workers for COVID-19 Vaccination). For additional information, please visit https://www.bluewaterhealth.ca/news/vaccination-for-high-risk-hospital-workers-begins
The focus of the COVID-19 vaccine rollout in Sarnia-Lambton continues to be Phase 1 priority groups, as identified by the provincial government. The next vaccine shipments to Sarnia-Lambton are expected this week and next. Visit www.getthevaccine.ca for more information from Lambton Public Health.
The Provincial Government is working to roll out an online scheduling system and call centre to coordinate appointment bookings for mass immunization clinics. Further information will be shared once it’s available.
The Red-Control zone places further restrictions on gatherings, business-controlled settings, retail limits, cinemas and performing arts facilities.
· Gatherings (formal/informal) – 5 people indoors, 25 people outdoors
o Religious and other ceremonies: 30% capacity of the room indoors, 100 people outdoors
· Business-controlled settings (restaurants, foot courts, gyms, casino & gaming)
o 10 people indoors, 25 people outdoors
· Retail limits
o 75% for supermarkets and other stores that primarily sell groceries (includes pharmacies & convenience stores)
o 50% for all other retail
· Cinemas & performing arts – closed (with specific exemptions)
For more information on COVID-19, visit:
- City of Sarnia website: https://www.sarnia.ca/covid-19/
- County of Lambton County website: https://www.lambtononline.ca/en/resident-services/covid-19.aspx
- Lambton Public Health website, including local COVID-19 Testing Assessment Centres: https://lambtonpublichealth.ca and COVID-19 Case Map
- Public Health Ontario website: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/
- Province of Ontario website: www.ontario.ca/coronavirus
- Visit Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccine web page to view the latest provincial data and information on COVID-19 vaccines.
- Government of Canada website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
As of 11:30 a.m. on February 23 the SPCG can report that:
|Current Active Outbreaks||6|
|Incidence Rate per 100,000 – Week of February 7-February 13, 2021||60|
|Percent Positive – Week of February 7-February 13, 2021||2.3|
|Total immunizations given – Updated February 17, 2021||1,158|
By-Law Enforcement COVID-19 Reporting System
|Total number of complaints and inquiries received||1702|
|Total number of emails received||1,436|
|Total number of phone calls received||266|
|Total number of charges issued||8|