We understand that many of our residents and businesses are struggling with concerns around health, finances, and availability of supplies and the City of Sarnia remains committed to supporting the health and well-being of our community by every means possible and we are taking steps each day to assist our community during these trying times.
At its Open Session Meeting held on March 25, 2020, Sarnia City Council adopted the following initiatives intended to provide financial relief to residents and businesses to help them cope with the negative economic impacts that the COVID-19 pandemic emergency is having on our community:
- Waiver of the $40 NSF fee applied to anyone whose March Pre-Authorized Payment had returned.
- Waiver of penalty and interest charges applied on late property tax payments until May 31, 2020.
- Waiver of any late fees applied on utility costs (water and sewer only) until May 31, 2020.
- Waiver of late fees applied on miscellaneous invoices until May 31, 2020.
- Waiver of transit fares for the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
As per part of the solutions to be implemented to assist affected citizens, Council also directed that:
- Property owners be provided with a deferral of one month for both the interim and property tax invoices that would normally have been due on April 29 or May 28, 2020. These dates have now been deferred to May 28 and June 29, 2020 respectively.
Additional extensions for these measures will be considered by Council when appropriate.