Please take note that there is an addendum to the Open Session Agenda for the Sarnia City Council meeting scheduled to take place by teleconference on March 25, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. to add the following item:
- Initiatives to Provide Financial Relief in light of COVID-19 Emergency
This agenda item is intended to allow Council an opportunity to address different measures the City can adopt to provide financial relief to citizens in these difficult times.
We understand that many of our residents and businesses are struggling with concerns around health, finances, and availability of supplies and the City of Sarnia remains committed to supporting the health and well-being of our community by every means possible and we are taking steps each day to assist our community during these trying times.
At our next scheduled council meeting, Sarnia City Council will be considering temporary changes to late payment charges and service fees that are intended to provide financial relief to citizens relative to property tax and service fee payments to help residents and businesses cope during the COVID-19 emergency. Based on council’s decision, the temporary measures being proposed would mean, that through to May 31st 2020:
- Elimination of bus user fees;
- No penalty or interest charges will be incurred on property tax accounts during the months of April and May, 2020 for all property owners;
- No late payment charges will be incurred on miscellaneous invoices; and,
- No non-sufficient fund (NSF) fee charged by the City for any returned tax payments.
Additional extensions for these measures will be considered by Council when appropriate.
We apologize for the delay in providing this addendum.