Germain Garden Plots are full at this time. If you are interested in being put on the waitlist for future seasons please email email@example.com.
For updates on current COVID-19 restrictions and potential closures, please visit our COVID-19 page here.
Plot users must follow social distancing and safety guidelines as provided by Lambton Public Health. Community Gardens provide many benefits. If interested in renting a plot, or for more information on our Community Garden Program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of community gardens include:
- Provide opportunities for individuals to grow gardens
- Improve our connection to the sources of food
- Strengthen neighbourhood connections through active participation
- Provide purpose and enjoyment to our green space
- Promote an awareness of the environment
The Provincial government has announced a change to the emergency orders that will allow the use of community gardens across Ontario. Community gardens offer a number of benefits to the public, including access to fresh produce and physical activity.
There are a number of Public Health recommendations that must be followed when considering the use and set up of an allotment/community garden space, including:
- Anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 or who has been in close contact with an individual with a confirmed case of COVID-19 should not enter the garden area
- Limit the number of gardeners in a space to ensure physical distancing can be maintained.
- Allow access to registered members, staff and volunteers only; visitors should not be permitted to enter
- Access to the garden is for planting, maintaining and harvesting food only
- Events of any kind are not permitted, such as flower festivals, children’s events and other programming, training or group builds
- Ensure adequate hand hygiene. Where possible, handwashing stations should be available in the gardens
- Clean and disinfect equipment or tools if sharing, handles should be cleaned and disinfected before and after each use
The factsheet provides full details on various restrictions and requirements that will be important to have in place.
Anyone using a community garden must follow the current advice from Lambton Public Health to reduce the spread of COVID-19, including maintaining physical distance of 2 metres between people at all times, practicing good hand hygiene and staying home when you are sick.