Please be advised that a Virtual Public Meeting of City Council is scheduled for Monday, July 13, 2020 at 12:00 noon. Details on how to view and / or participate in this meeting are available on the City’s website at www.virtualsarnia.ca
The purpose of this Virtual Public Meeting is to deal with the following applications:
- City initiated applications (No. 8-2020-85 of 2002) to amend the Zoning By-law No. 85 of 2002 and the Refreshment Vehicle section of the City’s Business License – By-law 128 of 2017 to:
- Provide temporary relief to parking and landscape open space requirements for commercially zoned property to allow business owners to expand their presence on-site to drive sales opportunities in a safe and socially distanced manner; and
- Allow existing licensed restaurants and bake shops to offer outdoor food sales opportunities on their property or on the city right-of-way within close proximity to their restaurant. This sale opportunity would include refreshment vehicles and carts; and
- allow existing licensed restaurant and bake shop business owners to offer outdoor food sales on their property or on the City right-of-way within close proximity to their restaurant.
These initiatives will support businesses by allowing them to expand their presence in a safe and socially distanced manner for a 1-2 year pilot period.
- City initiated application (No. 10-2020-85 of 2002) to amend the City’s Zoning By-law No. 85 of 2002 to permit secondary dwelling units in single detached dwellings on partial services in the Suburban Residential (SR1), Rural Residential (RR1) and Rural 1 (RU1) Zones.
- Secondary dwelling units would not be permitted in areas classified as ‘Natural Hazards’ in the City’s Zoning By-law. They would be regulated by the existing regulations in subsection 3.10(4) of the Zoning By-law, which includes minimum and maximum floor areas, minimum parking standards and a requirement that the unit conforms to all applicable Ontario Fire Code and Ontario Building Code.
- The proposed amendments would apply city-wide, for this reason an area map is not included.
- Two Applications submitted by Cantam Group Ltd, on behalf of the owners – Afton Venture Inc., to amend the City’s Official Plan (OPA Application #10) and Zoning By-law No. 85 of 2002 (Application No. 1-2020-85 of 2002) to permit the property located on the south side of London Road, east of Afton Drive and know municipally as 1271 – 1289 London Road (see Area Map), to be developed with three 30.5m high nine-storey buildings with a total of 234 residential dwelling units. One of the buildings is proposed to provide 853.01 sq.m commercial space on the ground floor.
The proposed total number of bedrooms is 910. All of the residential dwellings units would be designed primarily for students.
Two Applications submitted by Zelinka Priamo Ltd. on behalf of the owner – Paul Wicks, to amend the City’s Official Plan (OPA Application #24) and Zoning By-law No. 85 of 2002 (Application No. 6-2020-85 of 2002) to permit the property know municipally as 834 Lakeshore Road (see Area Map) to be developed with six (6) residential lots in a plan of subdivision.
A similar development proposal (OPA #12) was previously refused by Sarnia City Council on November 5, 2018. This new development proposal was revised to address natural heritage issues which was stated as the primary reason for the refusal of OPA #12.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
For additional information on the applications, visit the following links:
Current City Projects
Active Development Applications
Submit Written Comments:
Email: to email@example.com
City of Sarnia, c/o Planning Department, 255 Christina Street North, P.O. Box 3018
Sarnia ON, N7T 7N2
A drop box is located on the right hand side of the Christina Street entrance to City Hall. Please note letters must include your full name, address, phone number and the application on the agenda that you are writing about.
Speak at the Public Meeting:
Register to speak to at this Public Meeting by going to www.virtualsarnia.ca and clicking on the Public Meetings button. Select the meeting date and fill in the form, describe which application you are looking to speak to, and provide your contact information. Login information for the public meeting is provided by email following the submission and is available on www.virtualsarnia.ca.
While registration is not required to speak, we encourage those who wish to speak pre-register.
If you would like to participate in a public meeting, you may do so by:
- Dial +1-855-703-8985
- Enter the Meeting ID: 891 5945 6309
To access the meeting through Zoom visit www.virtualsarnia.ca and select Public Meetings.
Please plan to join about 15 minutes ahead of the meeting start time. If there are any questions, please contact Customer Service at 519-332-0330.
If you have, written or visual documents you would like to present email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon Friday, July 10, 2020
For more information about the applications contact Community Development Services & Standards, 3rd Floor, City Hall, anytime during business hours (Tel. 519 332-0330 Ext. 3344); or by mail at email@example.com.
PLANNING ACT INFORMATION FOR OFFICIAL PLAN AND ZONING BY-LAW AMENDMENTS
If a person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting or make written submissions to the City of Sarnia before the proposed Official Plan and/or Zoning By-law Amendments are approved or refused the person or public body:
- is not entitled to appeal the decision of the County of Lambton (approval body) of the Official Plan Amendment and the decision of the Council of the City of Sarnia of the Zoning By-law amendment to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT); and
- may not be added as a party to the hearing of an appeal before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT) unless, in the opinion of the Board, there are reasonable grounds to add the person or public body as a party.