Please review the following Sarnia Transit Care-A-Van Services and registration instructions.
How to obtain a Care-a-Van registration form:
- Pick up an application from Customer Service – first floor – City Hall;
- Request a registration form below; or
- Download and print the attached form below.
Once you have obtained the registration form, you must:
- Have your Registered Health Care Professional complete “Section B” at the bottom portion of the form (Disability Verification). He/she must clearly state the disability which prohibits you from boarding a regular bus and he/she must sign the form. If you will require a Support Person to accompany you on the Care-a-Van, have your Registered Health Care Professional sign this area on the form also.
- Complete the rest of the form with your own information.
- Read through the brochure carefully, and then sign the “Waiver and Indemnity Form” and have a witness sign beside your signature.
- After the form is received and approved at the Care-A-Van office, you will be sent a registration card with your registration number in the mail.
- Any medical bookings can be made up to 30 days in advance. All other bookings can be made up to 7 days in advance.
- Care-a-Van Service hours
Monday – Friday 6:30 am – 10:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am – 10:00 pm
Sunday 8:30 am – 6:00 pm
- Care-a-Van Office Hours
Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Service is from accessible door to accessible door. If assistance is required for any reason, you must be accompanied by an attendant /support person or have one present where necessary. Anyone travelling who is not a designated support person must pay a fare. We reserve the right to deny service temporarily or permanently, if a required attendant/support person is not present at pickup.
- Passengers should be ready and waiting 15 minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time. Once the bus arrives, there is a 5 minute waiting period before the driver has to move on to the next pick up.
- Vehicles must be able to pull up to a location with no obstructions and vehicles aren’t able to pull into residential driveways
- During the winter, please keep lanes, sidewalks and especially steps clear of snow and ice for your safety and ours.
- All parcels/shopping must be manageable for the client and attendant/support person as drivers are unable to assist.
- All passengers must wear seat-belts, except where exempt for medical reasons.
- No Smoking on vehicles.
- Expect to share your ride with others and allow for a longer ride on the bus.
- If visiting a doctor or medical center, inform them you are using the Care-A-Van when you make your appointment so they can assist in keeping you on schedule.
- Please notify us if your mobility needs change as this may affect van requirements.
- All rides are booked on a “first come, first serve basis” from time of request. All trip requests are not guaranteed and are based on bus availability. You will receive a trip confirmation once the trip has been booked.
- ALL trip cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance. Late cancellations will be subject to a $3.00 per trip penalty, payable in cash and deposited into the farebox on your next scheduled trip.
- Care-a-Van at any time can institute policies and practices to prevent the misuse of the service, which can result in limited trip booking up to suspension of services.
Download the Care-A-Van Registration Form
Submit Your Completed Care-A-Van Registration Form
You can submit your completed Care-A-Van registration form one of the following ways:
- By email to email@example.com
- By mail to Sarnia Transit at 1169 Michener Road, Sarnia, ON N7S 4W3
- By mail or in person to City Hall at 255 Christina Street North, Sarnia, ON N7T 7N2