To obtain a Care-a-Van registration form you may:
- Pick one up from our office at 1169 Michener Road or from City Hall
- Request a registration form by mail/e-mail by calling the office
- Print the attached form
Once you have obtained the registration form, you must:
- Have your Registered Health Care Professional complete “Section B” at the bottom portion of the form (Disability Verification). He/she must clearly state the disability which prohibits you from boarding a regular bus and he/she must sign the form. If you will require a Support Person to accompany you on the Care-a-Van, have your Registered Health Care Professional sign this area on the form also.
- Complete the rest of the form with your own information.
- Read through the brochure carefully, and then sign the “Waiver and Indemnity Form” and have a witness sign beside your signature.
- After the form is received and approved at the Care-A-Van office, you will be sent a registration card with your registration number in the mail.
- Service is from accessible door to accessible door. If assistance is required for any reason, you must be accompanied by an attendant or support person or have one present where necessary. Anyone accompanying who is not a designated support person must pay a fare. We reserve the right to deny service temporarily or permanently, if a required attendant is not provided.2.
- Please be ready about 15 minutes before your scheduled time. If you are more than 5 minutes late past your scheduled time the driver will proceed to the next scheduled call and you will be responsible for alternate transportation.
- During the winter, please keep lanes, sidewalks and especially steps clear of snow and ice for your safety and ours
- Please be considerate in your demands on the drivers. They have a schedule to keep, so they cannot run errands for you. Please limit parcels to a manageable amount for you and your attendant.
- All passengers must wear seat-belts, except where exempt for medical reasons.
- No Smoking on vehicles.
- Expect to share your ride with others and allow for a longer ride on the bus.
- If visiting a doctor or medical center, inform them you are using the Care-A-Van when you make your appointment so they can assist in keeping you on schedule.
- Please contact us before changing to a larger wheelchair as this may cause some problems with your pick up in regards to the size of van required
- From time to time demand may exceed capacity, so we may not be able to accommodate you every time you request a ride. If you wish, you can be put on a waiting list for the time requested and you will be called if there is a cancellation