The Fire Master Plan is a review of the community and its fire service that outlines a 10-year plan for future opportunities for organization improvements. The plan assesses present and future population statistics and anticipated growth. It also evaluates past and present service levels provided by the fire department, coupled with its service goals and expectations.
Objectives and Recommendations
To ensure that they are meeting the needs of the community and their staff, the plan outlines recommendations aimed at providing high-quality fire services to the residents and businesses of the community along with its visitors. The plan includes all aspects of Sarnia Fire Rescue Services including the operational costs and capital budgets required to maintain or enhance the service. It includes several key recommendations.
- Provide a review of the response requests and response times in comparison to requirements as outlined by NFPA standards.
- Provide a geographical plan to fire station locations to support the community for response incorporating vulnerable occupancy locations, industrial and commercial needs, and growth of the City into new development areas.
- Provide features that will be required to be incorporated into facilities.
- Provide an apparatus plan to provide a replacement schedule and asset management of the key apparatus for the service considering recommendations as outlined by the NFPA.
Mutual Aid Review
- Review of existing mutual aid agreements, fire service protection agreements, and provide a plan for updating such agreements.
Fire Prevention Public Education Plan
- Provide a review of Public Fire and Life Safety Education activities to ensure Sarnia Fire Rescue Services meet or exceed minimum compliance requirements of the regulations and NFPA standards and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Provide a review of Fire Prevention, Inspection and Enforcement activities to ensure Sarnia Fire Rescue Services meet or exceed minimum compliance requirements of the regulations and NFPA standards and provide recommendations for improvements.
Service Level Standards Review
- A plan for the current services provided by Sarnia Fire Rescue Services and identify any additional services that the City should consider to support the community.
- A review of the administrative workflow to support Sarnia Fire Rescue Services and identify improvement opportunities.
Insurance Underwriters Review
- A review of the current insurance underwriters review and the development of a cost benefit analysis of the fire service and impact on insurance underwriters rating.