Marriage Licenses are issued in the Customer Service Centre – 1st Floor City Hall between the hours of 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday thru Friday. We encourage applicants to book an appointment by contacting Customer Service by email at, or by phone 519-332-0330.

A marriage licence is valid within Ontario, for 3 months from date of issue and can only be issued to the applicant(s).
Both parties must sign the marriage licence application form.
The form is available electronically (Form 3 will be emailed to applicant to print and sign) or in printable pdf version. Paper copies also available at City Hall – Customer Service.
**NOTE: Under ‘Parent’s name’ please include parents maiden name, if applicable.**
The Licence Fee of $159.50 is payable by cash, debit or credit and is non-refundable.

Required Documentation

In order to be eligible for a Marriage Licence, each applicant must provide 2 pieces of VALID and ORIGINAL identification confirming name, date of birth and signature.  One piece of identification must include your photo.

Acceptable Forms of ID:Birth Certificate
Current Passport
Record of Immigrant Landing
Canadian Citizenship Card
Driver’s Licence
Ontario Photo Card
Native Status Card
Permanent Residency Card
Nexus Card

The name on both pieces of your ID must be the same. The first and last names must match on the two pieces of ID you are presenting. To include a middle name on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID.

Additional information about Marriage Licenses is available on the Service Ontario website:

Following the Ceremony, you and your spouse will receive a record of Solemnization of Marriage. This is not a Marriage Certificate. Some organizations will require a Marriage Certificate as proof that your marriage was registered by the Province. You can apply for your Marriage Certificate online after your wedding at

Widowed or Divorced

If an applicant is a widow or widower, they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage license.

Divorced in Canada

The original or court certified copy of the Certificate of Divorce (Form 36B) or a Decree Absolute must be shown to the licence issuer.

The Certificate of Divorce (Form 36B) needs to be obtained from the courthouse where the divorce took place. To look up information on a courthouse visit:, select the city, then select the “Family” drop-down to obtain the correct contact information.

A Judgement or Court Order (Form 25A) issued by the Court is not acceptable proof of divorce. **Photocopies or certificates certified by a Lawyer or Notary Public will not be accepted. For more information visit:

Divorced Outside of Canada

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

You will need to send the following documents to Service Ontario:

  • Marriage Licence Application Form, completed and signed.  **NOTE: Under ‘Parent’s name and place of birth’ please include parents maiden name, if applicable. **
  • Statement of Sole Responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both applicants who are planning to get married, and a witness)
  • Legal Opinion Letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
  • Divorce Decree or Annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

Note: Completed Foreign Divorce Authorizations are sent to applicants by courier.  It is important that your full mailing address including suite/unit/apartment and buzzer number on the marriage licence application form, or the courier package cannot be delivered and will be returned to Service Ontario.

Please mail these documents directly to:

Service Ontario
Marriage Office PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6L8

For more information call Service Ontario: 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free)