A property owner may sell a whole lot or block within a registered plan of subdivision, even though the landowner may own abutting lots. Section 50(28) of the Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.P13, provides that part of a lot on a registered plan of subdivision cannot be transferred without the approval of the municipality. Part-lot control has the effect of preventing the division of land in a registered plan, other than that allowed for in the approved plan of subdivision, without further approvals.
The part-lot control provisions of the Planning Act allow a municipality to pass by-laws to remove part-lot control from all or any part of a registered plan of subdivision. Such a by-law has the effect of allowing the conveyance of a portion of a lot without requiring the approval of the land division committee.
Steps to Apply for an Exemption from Part Lot Control
Fee Rate: A 2024 Exemption from Part Lot Control Application costs $549.25.
Speak with the Planning Department about your proposal prior to applying.
– Email: email@example.com
– Phone: 519-332-0330 ext. 3301
Complete an Exemption from Part Lot Control application form. This can be completed digitally, or on paper. The form can be accessed at the link above, or in person at Community Services on the 3rd floor of City Hall.
Submit your form. This can be done:
- Online: Submit your application via the sarnia.ca/apply portal.
(Note: the application must be commissioned by an Ontario Commissioner of Oaths. Applicants choosing to submit online may find their own Commissioner or may come into City Hall after submitting to have their application commissioned in person.)
- In Person: At Community Services on the 3rd floor of City Hall.
- Mail or Courier: To “City Hall: Attention Planning Department” (see note above regarding Commissioning)
Pay the application fee. Payment can be made:
- Online: By credit card using the Payment Platform below.
- In Person: By cheque, credit or debit card, at Community Services on the 3rd floor of City Hall.
- Mail or Courier: By cheque made out to City of Sarnia. Mailed to “City Hall: Attention Planning Department”
- Phone: By credit card. 519-332-0330 ext. 3301
Exemption from Part Lot Control Payment Platform
Use this link to pay for your Exemption from Part Lot Control Application once you have completed and submitted the application form.