Pre-application discussions are widely acknowledged as being beneficial to the development process; as they ensure both developers and City staff understand the requirements that exist in bringing forward a particular development proposal. Pre-Application Consultation allows City staff to determine the specific reports, studies and information that is required to be submitted together with the application form as part of a complete application package.
Pre-application Consultation is mandatory* for:
- Official Plan Amendments
- Zoning By-Law Amendments
- Plans of Subdivision applications
- Plan of Condominium applications
- Site Plan Control applications
The process can also be used to facilitate other applications such as:
- Committee of Adjustment applications (consent, minor variance, signage or part lot control)
- Building Permits.
*The Pre-Application Consultation may be waived where it has been determined by staff that the nature of the application does not require pre-consultation. If the requirement for consultation is waived, the General Manager or their delegate will issue a Record of Pre-Consultation, which may scope or waive the reports, studies, plans required to constitute a complete application.
Fee Rate: As of 2023, a Pre-Application Consultation costs $303.60.
Pre-Application Consultation Scheduling
Pre-Application Consultation requests including both a completed form and payment are accepted and reviewed by Staff every two weeks, as per the schedule below. Once accepted, the completed report will be issued to the applicant via email on or before the issuance date as per the schedule below.
|Application Intake Deadline||Pre-Consultation Report issued by
|November 21, 2022||December 9, 2022|
|December 5, 2022||December 23, 2022|
|January 3, 2023||January 20, 2023|
|January 16, 2023||February 3, 2023|
|January 30, 2023||February 17, 2023|
|February 13, 2023||March 3, 2023|
|February 27, 2023||March 17, 2023|
|March 13, 2023||March 31, 2023|
|March 27, 2023||April 14, 2023|
|April 10, 2023||April 28, 2023|
|April 24, 2023||May 12, 2023|
|May 8, 2023||May 26, 2023|
|May 22, 2023||June 9, 2023|
|June 5, 2023||June 23, 2023|
|June 19, 2023||July 7, 2023|
|July 3, 2023||July 21, 2023|
|July 17, 2023||August 4, 2023|
|July 31, 2023||August 18, 2023|
|August 14, 2023||September 1, 2023|
|August 28, 2023||September 15, 2023|
|September 11, 2023||September 29, 2023|
|September 25, 2023||October 13, 2023|
|October 9, 2023||October 27, 2023|
|October 23, 2023||November 10, 2023|
|November 6, 2023||November 24, 2023|
|November 20, 2023||December 8, 2023|
|December 4, 2023||December 22, 2023|
To Request a Pre-Application Consultation
Review the following two drop-down lists for details on the pre-application consultation process and site plan requirements.
Why do a Pre-application Consultation?
Prior to submitting an application for an Official Plan Amendment or Zoning By-Law Amendment, Plan of Subdivision, Plan of Condominium or Site Plan application a proponent is required to consult with relevant City staff. In addition, staff welcomes the opportunity to consider other pre-application proposals. Pre-application consultation with staff will improve the efficiency of the regulatory process.
It is important to realize that effective pre-application consultation will only be achieved where there is commitment from both staff and the proponent.
The City seeks to provide a consistent and fair approach to pre-application consultations in relation to all forms of planning proposals. It will furthermore commit to the following elements in providing pre-application advice for both mandatory and non-mandatory consultation:
- Provide a named point of contact who will lead on the pre-application consultation.
- Seek to identify key issues or constraints relevant to the proposal.
- Undertake a review of relevant planning history related to the site.
- Provide advice on groups or organizations that the proponent may wish to consult with as part of the pre-application consultation.
- Ensure that negotiations and discussions involve the right staff and a coordinated view is provided.
- Identify any information, studies or reports that will be required for the planning application.
- Provide a written response to the pre-application query in a timely manner.
- Where requested, provide guidance on the determination process including a guide to the timescales within which an application will be determined.
The proponent will be expected to provide all relevant information requested on the application form to the City when undertaking a pre-application consultation. The process will not commence until the City has received all the required information. The proponents may submit any additional information to the City that they feel would assist staff in reviewing the merits of any proposal. (e.g. photos, building layouts, elevations etc.)
Advice without Prejudice
It is to be appreciated that pre-application advice is given without prejudice and given on the basis of the information provided by the proponent. The advice given cannot provide an undertaking that planning permission will be granted. This is because pre-application advice is given prior to carrying out of full formal consultations and is staff’s opinion only, and so cannot constitute a formal response or decision from Council.
Feedback and Advice
Should you require further advice on submitting a pre-application consultation request or wish to provide any feedback on the process or service provided, please email us at email@example.com.
Format: PDF, to scale (metric)
- North arrow
- Property lines with dimensions
- Location and dimension of all existing and proposed buildings and structures
- Setbacks from lot lines to existing and proposed buildings
- Location of off-street parking and loading areas and setbacks of such areas from property lines
- Width of driveways and aisle accessing parking stalls and loading areas
- Location of outdoor containers for the storage of garbage, and other waste or recyclable materials
- Location of all existing and proposed sidewalks and pedestrian facilities, including connections to public sidewalks
- New and/or closed driveway entrances
Complete a Pre-Application Consultation Request Form. This can be completed digitally, or on paper. The form can be accessed at the link above, or in person at Community Services on the 3rd floor of City Hall.
Please refer to the Site Plan Requirements drop-down list when creating your site plan.
Submit your form. This can be done:
- Online: Using the Sarnia.ca/apply portal
- In Person: At Community Services on the 3rd floor of City Hall.
- Mail or Courier: To “City Hall: Attention Planning Department”
Pay the application fee. Payment can be made:
- Online: By credit card using the Payment Platform below.
- In Person: By cheque, credit or debit card, at Community Services on the 3rd floor of City Hall.
- Mail or Courier: By cheque made out to City of Sarnia. Mailed to “City Hall: Attention Planning Department”
- Phone: By credit card. 519-332-0330 ext. 3301
Pre-Application Consultation Request Payment Platform
Use this link to pay for your Pre-Application Consultation Request once you have completed the application form.