The City’s response to a request for a zoning and building compliance certificate will include sufficient information to allow a solicitor to satisfy themselves with respect to permitted uses and minimum setbacks.

What is included in the Compliance Certificate?

The following is a list of some of the information provided:

  1. Orders and Notices – records of outstanding violations on the property issued by the Building Department and Bylaw Enforcement.
  2. Zoning & Official Plan – the current zoning(s) and Official Plan Land use designation applied to the property.
  3. Committee of Adjustment – all variance and consents linked to the property.
  4. Heritage Status – if the property is listed or designated as a Historical property or has historical structures or elements.
  5. List of issued Building Permits – review based on previous 15 years only.
  6. Outstanding Inspections for Issued Permits – a listing of all permits where inspections are not complete. In the case of a new building, this may prohibit occupancy. (review based on previous 15 years only).
  7. Property Information – including Legal Description, Lot size and date house was built (where available).

Why do I need a Compliance Certificate?

Mortgage lenders, seeking to protect their investment, or lawyers, seeking to protect clients’ interests often ask for a compliance certificate. Compliance Certificates are most commonly required as a part of real estate purchasing contracts. Prospective buyers may also choose to purchase Compliance Certificates to learn more about the status of a property they are considering purchasing.

How do I order a Compliance Certificate?

Please use the ‘Order Here’ link below to purchase a Compliance Certificate. There are three different fee rates available which determine how quickly the request will be completed. Additionally, you will select whether the property is a residential use or a non-residential/residential (4 units or more) use.

Order Here

Looking for a Site Plan Control Agreement Compliance Letter?

If you are looking to determine a property’s compliance with an existing Site Plan Control Agreement, you will need to purchase a Site Plan Control Agreement Compliance Letter. Please visit the Site Plan Control webpage for further details.

For more information contact Community Services at 519-332-0330 extension 3301 or email