TAKE NOTICE that the Council of the Corporation of the City of Sarnia intends to designate the property listed below as being of historical value or interest under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O, 1990, c.o.18 as amended.

This property is located on the east side of East Street North, north of Maxwell Street and is known municipally as 378 East Street North.

Reasons for Proposed Designation

The Froome Talfourd cottage is one of the oldest structures in the city and one of the first cottages to be moved (twice) to new locations. It is still being used as a residential dwelling. It also links Sarnia to the City’s early years of growth and development.

Froome Talfourd bought a lot on Front Street from Captain R. E. Vidal in 1855 and built the cottage with its front entrance facing eastward towards the connection of Front Street to Christina Street via a laneway called “Russell Lane.” The cottage was first moved in 1875 (when James King owned it) from its original location to another location on the same lot to accommodate the extension of Front Street northwards. This move resulted in the front entrance of the cottage being turned to face westward towards the Front Street extension. It was again moved in 1945 from Front Street to its present location at 378 East Street North.

Froome Talfourd lived in Sarnia from 1855 to 1868, when he returned to England. Talfourd Street in the City is named after him.

Historical Significance

The significance of this cottage lies in its connection to Mr. Froome Talford, who, along with his brother Field Talfourd, established one of the first settlements in Lambton County on the banks of the St. Clair River in 1836. The settlement was called “Froomefield” (St. Clair Township). A provincial heritage plaque marks the settlement’s location at the NE corner of the St. Clair Parkway and Church Street in Corunna.

Froome (1807-1902) and Field (1815-74) Talfourd emigrated from England in 1832 and in the following year, took up adjoining lots here in Moore Township. Froome had previously served in H.M.S. Ariadne under Captain Frederick Marryat, the author. Froome purchased his brother’s lot (after he moved back to England) and laid out the town plot of “Froomefield” on the combined property in 1836. He later became a magistrate, commissioner of the court of requests, and a lieutenant-colonel in the Kent militia. He also served as “visiting superintendent” to the local First Nations reserves.

Additional Information

For more information on the proposed designation, please contact Max Williams at max.williams@sarnia.ca or (519) 332-0330 ext. 3293.

ANY PERSON may, within thirty (30) days of the publication of this notice, send by registered mail or deliver to the Clerk of The Corporation of the City of Sarnia their objection to the proposed designation together with a statement of the reasons for the objection and all relevant facts. If a Notice of Objection is received, the Council of The Corporation of the City of Sarnia will refer the matter to the Ontario Land Tribunal.

Amy Burkhart, City Clerk
Sarnia City Hall – 255 Christina Street N.
Sarnia, ON N7T 7N2

Dated this 16th day of May 2024.