The use of fireworks in Sarnia is governed by the City’s Fireworks By-Law. Residents can light off fireworks on their own private property provided the display is private, not open to the public at large, and features fireworks classed as F1.

Backyard firework displays are only permitted on the day of, day before and day after Victoria Day and Canada Day, or with a permit on a Special Occasion Day.

Fireworks can not be discharged in a public park or space. See the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below for additional details.

For questions contact: Sarnia Fire Rescue Services, by calling 519-332-1122 or emailing Further restrictions apply, please read our FAQ below for more information.

Fireworks By-Law FAQ

Can I have a backyard fireworks display?

Yes, provide it is a private display that is not open to the public at large, and includes display of fireworks intended for a community or neighbourhood surrounding the private property. Fireworks used for this purpose must be classed F1. Examples include fireworks showers, fountains, golden rain, lawn lights, pin wheels, Roman candles, volcanoes, and sparklers.
Higher performance F2 fireworks are not permitted.

Do I need a permit for backyard fireworks?

No, a permit is not required however, you must only use fireworks intended for private displays.

When can I discharge fireworks?

Displays are permitted between dusk and 11 p.m. on the day of, day before and day after Canada Day and Victoria Day. Fireworks can also be displayed with a permit on Special Occasion Days.

What is a Special Occasion Day?

A Special Occasion Day is a celebration or special interest day involving the use of fireworks such as Diwali of the Lunar New Year. The events require a Fireworks Permit issued by the Chief Fire Official and must be publicly advertised.

Can I discharge fireworks in a public park or space? Can I discharge fireworks in a public space with a permit?

No. Fireworks cannot be discharged in any highway, street, alley, park, or other public place. Fireworks Display Permits may be issued for private lands. This would require signed consent from the landowner as well as several other criteria listed on the permit.

How do I obtain a Fireworks Display Permit?

Application must be made through Sarnia Fire Rescue Services, Fire Prevention Bureau by calling 519-332-1122 or emailing

Can a Fireworks Display Permit be revoked?

Yes, it can be revoked at any time due to non-compliance or in the opinion of the Chief Fire Official a public safety concern exists.

Who enforces the Fireworks By-Law?

Sarnia Municipal By-Law Enforcement Officers and Sarnia Fire Rescue Services, Fire Prevention Bureau Staff.

How do I lodge a fireworks complaint?

Unless there is an emergency do not call 911. For fireworks complaints call:

  • Sarnia Fire at 519-344-1122, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • City By-Law Enforcement, including afterhours emergencies at 519-332-0330. Direct phone line afterhours or holidays: 226-472-1150.