2021 Interim Billing
Bills mailed out first week of February
1st Installment: February 25, 2021
2nd Installment: April 29, 2021
2021 Final Billing
Bills mailed first week of June
3rd Installment: June 29, 2021
4th Installment: August 30, 2021
Pre-Authorized Payment Plan – You can sign up for monthly automatic withdrawal, or automatic withdrawal on the tax due date. Please see below for additional information on the plans available. To sign up for a Pre-Authorized Payment Plan, please complete and return an application form.
In person – City Hall is accepting in-person payments cash, cheque or debit. Cash or cheque can be dropped off at City Hall in an envelope through the Drop Box, located just outside the Christina St. entrance. Our business hours are Monday – Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm (excluding Holidays).
Telephone Payments – Using your 19 digit roll number, no spaces, decimals, or dashes. Search Sarnia (City) Taxes or Sarnia Tax to add as a payee.
Online/Internet Payments – Using your 19 digit roll number, no spaces, decimals, or dashes. Search Sarnia (City) Taxes or Sarnia Tax to add as a payee. Please note that we do not accept Interact e-Transfers.
Financial Institution – Payment can be made at most financial institutions. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing.
Post Dated Cheques – Mailed or dropped off and held until due date.
Mail – to Sarnia City Hall, Tax Office, 255 Christina Street North, PO Box 3018, Sarnia Ontario, N7T 7N2 (cheques only).
Drop Box – located at the Christina Street Entrance (cheques only)
Late payment of Taxes will be subject to a penalty charge of 15% per annum, on the first day of default and on the first day of each month thereafter, until paid. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse a taxpayer from the responsibility for payment or from liability for penalty for late payment. Penalty and/or interest cannot be waived or altered for any reason.
A fee of $40 will be applied on all non-sufficient fund (NSF) payments.
If payment in full is not received by the installment due date, a property tax arrears notice will be issued and a $5.00 fee will be applied to your account.
- Runs from November to October. If you join after the plan begins, payments are adjusted accordingly.
- Payments will be deducted from your bank account on the last business day of each month.
- Monthly payments are adjusted twice per year, in November and June for Residential and Commercial, after Final Taxes are been determined.
- A Final Tax Bill will be mailed for information purposes. This bill should be kept for income tax purposes and the information verified.
- The monthly pre-authorized payment schedule will appear on the Final Tax bill.
- Available for all property classes.
- The Installment amount will be deducted from the designated bank account on each property tax installment due date.
- Interim and Final tax bills are mailed for information purposes. These bills should be kept for income tax purposes and the information verified.
- Free to sign up!
- Never worry about missing an installment due date
- Avoid penalty charges for missed payments
- Budgeting for your taxes is made easy with the monthly installment plan
- No need to mail in a cheque
The Pre-Authorized Payment Plan (PAP) is available, at no cost, to both residential and commercial taxpayers, as long as their tax account has no arrears. To join the PAP program your property structure must be fully assessed.
Contact us at 519-332-6309 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details of pre-authorized payment plans available to properties in arrears.
Complete and return the application form along with a VOID cheque or PAD form from your bank to Customer Service. Application forms are available below or from the Customer Service Centre located on the 1st Floor at Sarnia City Hall.
Line of credit accounts and credit card cheques cannot be used for pre-authorized payments.
Contact us in writing prior to the 20th of the month for all pre-authorized payment plan changes.
Emails advising of changes can be sent to email@example.com or you can submit the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Cancellation or Account Information Change Form.
- Pre-authorized payment information is not transferable. When you purchase a new property, a new pre-authorized payment form is required.
- If you own more than one property, a separate PAP enrollment form is required for each. Any payment default will immediately, at the discretion of the City, cause the account to be removed from the PAP Plan.
- NSF fees, as well as penalty and interest will apply on all returned payments. It is your responsibility to inform the City in writing, if your bank account information changes.
- You will be required to supply a new VOID cheque or PAD form from your bank. It is your responsibility to cancel participation in the PAP program in writing if the property is sold.
City of Sarnia, Tax Office
255 Christina Street North, PO Box 3018
Sarnia, ON N7T 7N2