Property Tax Due Dates
2019 Interim Billing (All Classes)
Bills mailed out first week of February
1st Installment: February 27, 2019
2nd Installment: April 29, 2019
2019 Interim Billing (Residential Farm, Managed Forest, Pipeline)
Bills mailed first week of June
3rd Installment: June 27, 2019
4th Installment: August 29, 2019
2019 Final Billing (Multi-Residential, Commercial, Industrial)
Bills mailed first week of August
Final Installment: August 29, 2019
- Pre-Authorized Payment Plan – You can sign up for monthly automatic withdrawal, or automatic withdrawal on the tax due date. Please see below for additional information on the plans available. To sign up for a Pre-Authorized Payment Plan, please complete and return an application form.
- In person – Payments can be made in person in Customer Service at City Hall. Our business hours are Monday – Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm (excluding Holidays). Cash, cheque or debit are accepted.
- Telephone Payments – Using your 19 digit roll number, no spaces, decimals, or dashes. Search Sarnia (City) Taxes or Sarnia Tax to add as a payee.
- Online/Internet Payments – Using your 19 digit roll number, no spaces, decimals, or dashes. Search Sarnia (City) Taxes or Sarnia Tax to add as a payee. Please note that we do not accept Interact e-Transfers.
- Financial Institution – Payment can be made at most financial institutions. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing.
- Post Dated Cheques – Mailed or dropped off and held until due date.
- Mail – to Sarnia City Hall, Tax Office, 255 Christina Street North, PO Box 3018, Sarnia Ontario, N7T 7N2 (cheques only).
- Drop Box – located at the Christina Street Entrance (cheques only).
If a receipt is required, please return the entire bill without detaching the stub(s) and include a stamped, self-addressed envelope.
Penalty for Late Payment
Late payment of Taxes will be subject to a penalty charge of 1.25% on the first day of default and on the first day of each month thereafter, until paid. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse a taxpayer from the responsibility for payment or from liability for penalty for late payment. Penalty and/or interest cannot be waived or altered for any reason.
A fee of $40 will be applied on all non-sufficient fund (NSF) payments.
Property Tax Arrears Notice
If payment in full is not received by the installment due date, a property tax arrears notice will be issued and a $5.00 fee will be applied to your account.
Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) Plans
Monthly Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) Plan
- Runs from November to October. If you join after the plan begins, payments are adjusted accordingly.
- Payments will be deducted from your bank account on the last business day of each month.
- Monthly payments are adjusted twice per year, in November and June for Residential; and August for Commercial, after Final Taxes are been determined. In November, if the increase is over $10.00, a letter will be mailed noting the change in the amount to be withdrawn.
- A Final Tax Bill will be mailed for information purposes. This bill should be kept for income tax purposes and the information verified.
- The monthly pre-authorized payment schedule will appear on the Final Tax bill.
Installment Due Date Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) Plan
- Available for all property classes.
- The Installment amount will be deducted from the designated bank account on each property tax installment due date.
- Interim and Final tax bills are mailed for information purposes. These bills should be kept for income tax purposes and the information verified.
- Free to sign up!
- Never worry about missing an installment due date
- Avoid penalty charges for missed payments
- Budgeting for your taxes is made easy with the monthly installment plan
- No need to mail in a cheque
The Pre-Authorized Payment Plan (PAP) is available, at no cost, to both residential and commercial taxpayers, as long as their tax account has no arrears. To join the PAP program your property structure must be fully assessed.
Contact us at 519-332-6309 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details of pre-authorized payment plans available to properties in arrears.
How to Enroll
Complete and return the application form along with a VOID cheque or PAD form from your bank to Customer Service. Application forms are available below or from the Customer Service Centre located on the 1st Floor at Sarnia City Hall.
Line of credit accounts and credit card cheques cannot be used for pre-authorized payments.
Making Changes to / Cancelling your PAP Plan
Contact us in writing prior to the 20th of the month for all pre-authorized payment plan changes.
Emails advising of changes can be sent to email@example.com or you can submit the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Cancellation or Account Information Change Form.
- Pre-authorized payment information is not transferable. When you purchase a new property, a new pre-authorized payment form is required.
- If you own more than one property, a separate PAP enrollment form is required for each. Any payment default will immediately, at the discretion of the City, cause the account to be removed from the PAP Plan.
- NSF fees, as well as penalty and interest will apply on all returned payments. It is your responsibility to inform the City in writing, if your bank account information changes.
- You will be required to supply a new VOID cheque or PAD form from your bank. It is your responsibility to cancel participation in the PAP program in writing if the property is sold.
City of Sarnia, Tax Office
255 Christina Street North, PO Box 3018
Sarnia, ON N7T 7N2