Booking is open for 2022 only – not booking into 2023.
Recreation Facility rentals are processed through the Parks & Recreation Department and include a number of facilities within the City of Sarnia.
Review the information below on the facility rental process, liability insurance requirements, licensed (alcohol) rental requirements, cancellation and refund procedures, and rentable facility details and pricing.
Facility Rental Process
The process to book a facility is as follows:
- Review Rental Policies and Requirements: Review the information below on insurance, alcohol, and cancellation/refunds in detail;
- Facility Information Research: Review the information via the links below on the facility type you’d like to book;
- Check Availability: Determine which facility you’d like to book and check the facility availability online;
- Request Rental: Submit a rental request form outlining your preferences on the rental;
- Staff Review: Once a request is submitted, allow us time to review the details and email or call with any issues or conflicts.
Contact us directly if you are experiencing difficulties viewing information or submitting a request form.
1: Rental Policies and Requirements
All renters must obtain general liability insurance – they can either opt-in to the City’s User Group Program, or get their own “Liability Insurance Policy” with a reputable company of their choice.
If you choose to get your own liability insurance, you must submit a Certificate of Insurance (COI) that:
- must be in an amount of not less than two million dollars ($2,000,000.00) covering each date/activity within the rental permit;
- must be placed with a reputable insurer which is licensed to carry on business in Ontario and which is acceptable to the City;
- must include “The Corporation of the City of Sarnia” and its representatives and employees as an “additionally insured”;
- must include bodily injury, property damage, and personal liability coverage;
- must contain a separation of insureds and cross-liability clause;
- and must provide that it will not be cancelled or materially altered without at least sixty (60) days prior written notice to the City delivered to the Community Services Division.
All licensed rentals (alcohol) and youth skill/development ice rentals must provide their own Certificate of Insurance (COI) and are not able to opt-in to the User Group Program.
*User Group Program fees are not determined by the City and are outlined and provided to the City by the insurance company. Fees vary based on activity, and can be viewed in the attachment below.
Licensed rentals are those that have alcohol present, and are allowed in specific facilities only.
If you’d like to have alcohol at your event, you must obtain a “Special Occasion Permit (SOP)” from the Alcohol and Gaming Commissions of Ontario (AGCO), which can be done online through the AGCO website. Only obtain an SOP after you’ve received your tentative rental contract.
The City does not govern over SOP’s and any questions regarding the process or requirements should be directed to the AGCO.
Once you receive your SOP, it must be submitted to the Community Services Administration staff no later than 2 weeks before your rental. If not, the rental can move forward, but can not have alcohol at the facility.
Submit your SOP via email to email@example.com.
How to Pay: Payment can be made by logging in online (do not create a new account) and clicking on My Account. You can also pay with credit card over the phone or in-person with the Customer Service Department – you will need your permit number.
Payment Due Dates: Payment is due at the time of booking, max 3 business days.
Failure to Pay: All payments must be made when due, unless you’ve notified staff. Rental contracts could be cancelled if payment is not made with cancellation fees or interest being charged.
New booking requests will not be considered until all outstanding balances are paid in full.
Overdue accounts shall be subject to monthly interest as per the Fees
for Service By-law and forwarded to a Collections Agency.
Transferring or Moving Rentals: Transfers to another location or date are allowed, but will be dependent on the availability of facilities and staff resources. Additional fees may apply.
The City has the right to transfer a rental due to necessary circumstances, no additional fees will be charged.
Cancellations and Refunds: Once a rental contract has been issued, it is in a tentative status but remains a valid contract. A $12.00 administrative fee will apply to all refunds. Below cancellation timelines apply:
Received more than 14 days before the date – refund to credit card or via cheque, less the $12.00 fee.
Received less than 14 days before the date –refund to account as a credit, less the $12.00 fee.
Received same-day or afterwards –no refund will be issued.
*Ice and Sports Field cancellations are subject to a 30-day cancellation policy for a refund.
2: Facility Information
Review the below Facility Types and click to view more information about the facilities that are rentable.
Each page includes information on the facility, location, amenities, capacity limits, and more.
Rental fees for this year only can be found in the attachment below. Fees are approved with Budget by Council annually.
|Arenas and Ice||Booking before Dec. 31, 2022|
|Rooms and Halls||Arenas: Booking before Dec. 31, 2022|
Newton: Closed: Booking Open TBD
|Picnic Spaces||Closed: Booking Opens Spring 2023|
|Specialty Facilities||Closed: Booking Opens Spring 2023|
|Sports Field & Multi-Use Courts||Closed: Booking Opens 2023|
3: Check Facility Availability
Click the button below to view each facilities online availability in a calendar. Available times do not reflect pending requests.
*Picnic Pavilions are booked once per day. Extra available times shown are open for first-come first-serve use, only.
Online Availability Calendar
4: Submit a Rental Request
Click the button below to complete the Facility Rental Request Form online. Your request is not guaranteed until a tentative permit/contract has been issued to you.